What is the UK Kickstart Jobs Scheme?
The Kickstart Scheme is a £2 billion fund to create hundreds of thousands of high quality six-month work placements for young people. In exchange for businesses hiring out-of-work candidates, that meet the scheme’s eligibility criteria, the government will cover the full employment costs of each individual hired.
BW3 is pleased to announce its intention to participate in the UK Kickstart Jobs Scheme as a gateway organisation, which means if you run a small or medium-sized business looking to take on a young person under the scheme, we can support you through the process.
Funding is available for 100% of the relevant National Minimum Wage for 25 hours a week, plus associated employer National Insurance contributions and employer minimum automatic enrollment contributions. If you are interested in hiring between one and 29 eligible young people under the scheme, please submit your details in the form at the bottom of this webpage.
Why was it created?
Young people are amongst the hardest hit by the Covid-19 global pandemic. As of August 2020, the number of British 16-24 year olds claiming unemployment benefits stood at 537,700. This is an increase of 122% since March of the same year. Furthermore, over the same time period, the UK economy has seen a total of 730,000 thousand jobs vanish from the payroll, reflecting the difficulty young people face in finding a job in the current climate.
In response to these alarming statistics the UK government has decided to take action. Any UK based 16-24 year old currently receiving unemployment benefits is eligible to enroll and find a job.
How the Kickstart Jobs Scheme works & eligibility criteria
Each application should include how you will help the participants to develop their skills and experience, including:
- support to look for long-term work, including career advice and setting goals
- support with CV and interview preparations
- supporting the participant with basic skills, such as attendance, timekeeping and teamwork
After completing the application form, your application will be assessed against the government’s eligibility requirements, which stand as follows:
- The vacancy in your business must be newly created
- The working hours stand at a minimum of 25 per week for a six month period
- Candidates should not be required to have extensive training prior to being hired
It should be stressed that this is not a competitive process or first come, first served scenario. The government’s target is to fund in the region of 250,000 placements through this scheme, all applications are welcome.
If accepted onto the UK Kickstart Jobs Scheme you will receive funding for every new employee you hire. This funding includes their salary (minimum wage for their age group), their national insurance contributions, and their pension contribution. Employers also have the option of topping up the employee’s salary or extending the weekly working hours if they so choose.
Why you should apply
This scheme is very much the ethos of BW3, our purpose is to act as a vehicle for all businesses, big or small, to find avenues to give back to the surrounding community, tackle the issues of greatest need and raise aspirations/pathways to employment/enterprise for local people, especially given the area concerned has had some of the highest levels of deprivation historically. Therefore this feels like a great opportunity to help in-need young people break into the word of work and to support businesses to be able deliver this.
The long-term effects of sustained unemployment on young people are well documented. Firstly, socio-economic concerns. Studies have shown that employers tend to shun candidates with little experience, thus creating a difficult cycle for young people. Due to this they are often forced to accept lower paying positions when presented with one. These jobs typically don’t provide training for sought after skills, which has the potential to define their entire working life. Second is the psychological effect unemployment has on young people, which can lead to a lack of self-confidence that has negative ramifications on their future job prospects and social mobility.
Alongside helping young workers to break into the workplace, you will feel the benefit from the added resources gained by having more staff available for projects at no cost to your business.
Why choose BW3 as your Gateway Organisation?
- We’ll act as your Gateway Organisation to help you secure Kickstart grant funding, with 19 years of working closely with local business, education and young people thus having a full understanding of the needs of each
- We have excellent local relationships and commitment to the area
- We have built up a fantastic reputation with over 250 business members in Wythenshawe, partner organisations and have close working connections with the DWP
- Support for you the employer – help with writing job descriptions for the new roles, bi-monthly group catch ups with businesses involved with Kickstart, Action Learning approach to share best practice for HR issues and access to our BW3 members with specialities in topics such as HR specific needs, training and coaching, managing the Government funding.
- Access to support for Kickstart employees with CV and job interview technique from experienced BW3 business members
How to apply (under 30 employees)
For more information please contact Kickstart@BW3.org.uk